[plug] Route

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jul 10 16:17:42 WST 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 03:39:21PM +0800, Jonathon Bates wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am currently attempting to get 2 c class networks talking via a
> linux box.
> Ive enabled ip_forwarding, but I am wondering if there is anything
> else I need to do/

If they're on two different networks, you want to tell your machines
that the linux box is the gateway for getting to the other network.
The easiest trick to doing that is using proxyarp, which fools the
clients into thinking that the router *is* the remote machine:

	echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp

And cross your fingers. I haven't done this in a while though. If
you have more complex routing, you may need something more. YMMV.
You might want some firewalling there too, depends on the situation.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham