[plug] mirrors

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sat Jul 13 14:17:25 WST 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Colin Muller wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:42:28PM +0800, sol wrote:
> > After some seriously hard core delay I am at long last writing a page
> > for the PLUG website titled "Moving to Linux" (for the time being at
> > least) focussing on commonly used desktop applications. Each section
> > contains a link to the homepage and download page of the app.
> > I was wondering; given the likely audience of the PLUG website (mostly
> > Perth and WA I assume) what would be the best mirror to download OOo
> > from?
>
> You'll probably want to offer several options.
>
> For several distros, Debian, RH and Mandrake included, plus a number
> of other programs, ftp.iinet.net.au is a free (no bandwidth charge)
> download for iiNet users (all?  certainly some, it is for me), and a
> WAIX-connected site for others.  Perhaps other people could send in
> addresses for other ISPs' local mirrors.
>
> planetmirror and mirror.aarnet/net/au both have more comprehensive
> archives than iiNet; Aarnet is not WAIX-connected, and the status of
> planetmirror vis-a-vis WAIX is uncertain, but they're both much
> quicker than downloading from over the seas.

Planetmirror IS WAIX connected and despite conversations here that disagree
has no plans of dropping the WAIX connectivity, that have been made public.

Sol, I suggest that you point people at (in order of preference)
 1. Any local WA mirror that is WAIX connected
	see: http://thor.cantech.net.au/~tony/waix.html for a reasonable list
	of waix networks.
 2. Any WA mirror
 3. Planetmirror
 3  mirror.aarnet
 4. application home page.

> Mirrors grow, shrink and change their policies over time; you'll be
> wanting to keep an eye on them so your document stays up to date.
>
> > And should I be pointing my links towards mirrors as opposed to
> > homesites (ie:http://balsa.gnome.org/download.html)?

I agree with Colin  You should certainly always include the home site.
Maybe link the first instance of the application name to the home site then
point the "click _here_ to download" at your prefered mirror.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!