[plug] mirrors

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Fri Jul 12 18:45:24 WST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:42:28PM +0800, sol wrote:
> After some seriously hard core delay I am at long last writing a page
> for the PLUG website titled "Moving to Linux" (for the time being at
> least) focussing on commonly used desktop applications. Each section
> contains a link to the homepage and download page of the app.
> I was wondering; given the likely audience of the PLUG website (mostly
> Perth and WA I assume) what would be the best mirror to download OOo
> from?

You'll probably want to offer several options.

For several distros, Debian, RH and Mandrake included, plus a number
of other programs, ftp.iinet.net.au is a free (no bandwidth charge)
download for iiNet users (all?  certainly some, it is for me), and a
WAIX-connected site for others.  Perhaps other people could send in
addresses for other ISPs' local mirrors.

planetmirror and mirror.aarnet/net/au both have more comprehensive
archives than iiNet; Aarnet is not WAIX-connected, and the status of
planetmirror vis-a-vis WAIX is uncertain, but they're both much
quicker than downloading from over the seas.

Mirrors grow, shrink and change their policies over time; you'll be
wanting to keep an eye on them so your document stays up to date.

> And should I be pointing my links towards mirrors as opposed to
> homesites (ie:http://balsa.gnome.org/download.html)?

I'd say both.

Colin