[plug] [link] nasty zdnet story...

The Thought Assassin assassin at penguincare.com.au
Mon Jul 15 17:24:15 WST 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:
> IMHO a very bad article about OSS in business, the peru OSS bill, etc. I
> suggest you have a read.

The article is littered with errata, insubstantiated opinion and
illogical leaps to doubtful conclusions, was clearly completely
unresearched, despite the authors woeful lack of knowledge of the topic,
and manages to create damaging and misleading misconceptions of open
source software and the related industry. This strikes me as exactly the
sort of things that SLPWA could be useful for - as a body of professionals
whose livelihood could be hurt by this kind of irresponsible journalism,
it seems like the perfect entity to press the publisher for a retraction,
a few pages of errata, or just a SLPWA-endorsed rebuttal linked from the
article. Not being a Linux Professional at present, I'm not involved, so
I'm merely making a suggestion to those who are. What say you?

-Greg