[plug] mounting a tape drive

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 16 07:27:02 WST 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:03:36AM +0000, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Results of commands:
> # tar xvzf /dev/hdd
> tar (child): /dev/hdd: Cannot read: Input/output error
> tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now
> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> tar: Child returned status 2
>
> Question when I did a listing from the application that does the backup
> I was able to see all the files, at the same time I could hear the tape
> drive being accessed to produce the listing.
> Just curious why would I be getting some of these errors?
>
> jlm

You will want to be using the device /dev/ht0, the errors that you
are getting are likely to be a result of using the wrong device.

thanks,
  Peter

PS: please don't tell me that the tape unit you are using is a Travan?
Dont do it! Friends don't let friends use Travan ;P. (I have had bad
experiences with them).