[plug] Argh iptables writing output to console

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Tue Jul 16 19:49:02 WST 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 07:25:22PM +0800, bob wrote:

> The main problem I have just at the moment is that iptables is writing
> its output to the console, stuff like IN= OUT=eth0 SRC= 192.168.0.1
> DST=192.168.0.255 etc etc which is making using the machine less than
> pleasant. I can turn off iptables with /etc/init.d/iptables clear but I
> still get occasional cruft written to the screen like marian source
> 192.168.0.111 ftom 192.168.0.1 etc.
>
> Where do I find out how to turn this off (or re direct it... I tried
> playing with syslog's config but that didn't seem to work)

http://www.iptables.org/documentation/FAQ/netfilter-faq-3.html#ss3.11

Make this the only kern.whatever line on your syslog.conf:
kern.* 	/path/to/required/log_file

You _may_ need to comment out some *.warning line(s) as well.

Then restart syslog. Note the caution about other kernel messages in
the FAQ above.

Colin