[plug] Debian + Network card

Cameron Patrick cp at chem.com.au
Fri Jul 19 17:00:03 WST 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:46:51 +0800, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

| I have Debian potato and wish to set up my network card. The problem
| is that I can't install the network card. there is no module for it
| under 'modconf' The card is a 3Com Ethernet 10/100 PCI, modal#: 3c905c
| TXM Tim
| ps Ive downloaded some drivers from google but still want advice
| incase they dont work, also how to install the drivers, don't know if
| there are help files in the tar balls.

I've never actually used these cards, but since almost all network drivers come with the kernel, it shouldn't be too much pain to get it going.

The module you're looking for is '3c509.o'.  Try typing in "modprobe 3c509" as root - if this doesn't give spit errors at you, you should be able to find it in modconf if you look hard enough.

If the module doesn't come with potato, the simplest option is to compile your own kernel, making sure that you enable support for the card.  When you do 'make menuconfig', it should be under Network device support ---> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) ---> 3COM cards ---> 3c509. (Disclaimer: that was for a 2.4.x kernel. The 2.2.x kernels which come with potato may be different.)

CP.