[plug] Debian 3.0 and upgrade method

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 11:40:57 WST 2002

> Well, you'll want to to:
> 	apt-get update
> 	apt-get dist-upgrade

[snip lots of other info]

Something I have always maintained, now confirmed by
the release notes:

<quote>
The recommended method for upgrading to Debian
GNU/Linux 3.0 is using the package management tool
`dselect'.  This tool makes safer decisions about
packages than `apt-get'.
</quote>

This seems _particularly_ important if you are
upgrading an entire distro version... dselect is much
safer in my view, you have a lot more control over
what gets upgraded and when.

Speaking of, does anyone else find it weird that apt
displays what packages (names) are affected when
installing or removing, but not when upgrading?

Anyone else care to comment?

Andrew

=====
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are quick to anger and have not need for subtlety.

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!