[plug] database authentication

sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun Jul 21 20:43:27 WST 2002

Hi there,

Are there any database (esp. PostgreSQL) people out there? I'm having
trouble doing something really simple with my Postgresql 7.2 db. I'm
trying to plug (no pun intended) the database into other applications
using unix-odbc but just can't get it right. But it's definitely
something to do with the way I've established users in Postgres, not the
config settings for unix-odbc.

To give an example, as the 'postgres' user I do this:

cdcol=# CREATE USER sol;
CREATE USER
cdcol=# GRANT ALL ON songs TO sol;
GRANT
cdcol=# GRANT ALL ON album TO sol;
GRANT
cdcol=#\q
sol at localhost:~$psql -U sol cdcol
psql: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication for user "sol"

I've also tried doing this with a user which has been allocated a
password with the same effect. Obviously I'm assuming that if I can't
login to a database using the psql interface due to authentication
problems then there's no way that unix-odbc will work if I'm using the
same username and password.

I've searched the Postgresql site, mailing lists and documentation for
answers for this simple question and can't seem to find the answer so I
thought I'd try here.

Thanks,
sol