[plug] OT: Sites bow to Microsoft's browser king

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Mon Jul 22 08:48:05 WST 2002

G'day All,
 > "What we're seeing with Web sites that are viewable only with IE is the
 > privatization of the Web," said Mozilla's Baker. "And that's a dangerous
 > setting. We're moving toward a world where all the capabilities of the
 > Internet are reprocessed through a single filter, with Microsoft's
business
 > plan behind it."

I actually have this problem.

I have had a site developed http://d9450.club.rotary.org.au that has a
map on the welcome page. If you move the mouse over the towns with
little markers, it is hot linked to another site except for Broome.

If you use IE it works fine, but I am getting reports that it doesn't
work with Netscape and Mozilla. I have Netscape 4.76 and it doesn't
display the map, although if you move the mouse around, you can find the
links. I also run Netscape 6.2.2 and the map displays except for the
Broome link. Others have reported that it doesn't work with Netscape 6.2

My question is, therefore, how do I fix it?

My programmer seems incapable, unable or unwilling to fix it. To be
honest, I believe that he doesn't know why it doesn't work with the
other browsers and therefore, can't fix it.

I do not like MS products and therefore avoid them passionately, and I
don't believe in the MSation of the web, but I really need to get this
fixed.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Alex