[plug] OT: Sites bow to Microsoft's browser king

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jul 22 10:06:16 WST 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:11, Colin Muller wrote:
> For starters, change:
> http://www.d9450.club.rotary.org.au/rotary/images%5Cwestaustralia.gif
> (which might be this in the source HTML:
> http://www.d9450.club.rotary.org.au/rotary/images\westaustralia.gif)

> into:
> http://www.d9450.club.rotary.org.au/rotary/images/westaustralia.gif

Alex, I think you need to insist that Noel also use at least Mozilla for
testing, and maybe throw copies of the pages at the W3C validator
(http://validator.w3.org/) too.

To have IE interpret straight across those errors is in one way impressive but
in another very scary. For example, the canonical way of interpreting `\w' is
as plain `w', so I think in principle any browser should read that URL as
http://www.d9450.club.rotary.org.au/rotary/imageswestaustralia.gif but in
practice I think they're just barfing on the backslash (ie refusing to try
fetching it) because there are no matching errors in your webserver's logs.

Cheers; Leon

PS, the validator currently says that it can't correctly parse the page
because there's no character set defined, and no DTD, then croaks completely
because `It uses a public identifier that is not in my catalog.'

Suprise, the image is broken on all of my browsers.