[plug] OT: Sites bow to Microsoft's browser king

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Mon Jul 22 13:52:20 WST 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:16:45AM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> On Monday 22 July 2002 9:11 am, Colin Muller wrote:
>
> > Second, insist on a cross-browser compatibility clause in any future
> > contracts with your Web designer. Make a list: on Mac, Windows and
> > Linux: Opera 5.x and 6.x, NS 4.x, 6.x and 7.x prerelease, Mozilla 1.0;
> > plus on Linux: Konqueror; plus on Windows and Mac: IE 4.x, 5.x, 6.x.
> > And then add in that all links must be accessible (if in a different
> > way from the map) in lynx. It is possible (although sometimes
> > difficult) to achieve functional cross-compatibility for these
> > browsers without doing any browser sniffing, and someone advertising
> > themselves as a "Web" something, as opposed to "IE" something, should
> > be able to do so.
>
> If its an internal web ap, I currently aim at NS 6+ and IE 5.5+. But with
> internal stuff you can usually control the browser.

Your life will be easier even in this case if you design to cater for
a wider spectrum of browsers. Why? Because when your organisation's
standard install gets changed to the next generation of browsers, a
widely-tested Web will be more likely to work with them than one
tailored to NS 6+ and IE 5.5+. A stitch in time, and all that ...

Colin