[plug] ISO's please

sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue Jul 23 10:09:13 WST 2002

True to character, I've decided to dive right in and work it out as I go
along. I've organised to run a "free software for newbies" class at
Murdoch for the general public, free of charge (and there still might be
people that want their money back!) starting in week 5 (Aug 26). It will
consist of one intro lecture that will be well publicized on campus plus
four followup tutorials on various aspects of FS - but I haven't decided
exactly what yet! :-P  Probably one class on OOo, one on desktop usage
and applications, one on Linux fundamentals, and one I haven't decided
yet. (Anyone think I've missed out anything is welcome to put their hand
up to help. :-) )

Anyway, I'm going to be giving OOo and Linux a big PLUG - actually this
is really a marketing exercise dressed up as a intro tutorial. ;-)  I
have to provide a copy of OOo and a Linux distro to the Guild (who are
organising it and want some economic return) who will sell copies for $5
per CD - that's how I convinced the Guild to make it free of charge and
open to the public.

My question here is:
Does anyone have the latest version of SuSE (8.0) or Mandrake (8.3) on
CD? Can I grab a copy sometime soon? I live in Willetton but travel NoR
on a fairly regular basis and can pick them up no worries. Help here
would be much appreciated.

I've decided to go with these distros because they have the easiest
install and lots of handholding graphical wizards to aid complete
newbies, IMO.

Also I have a suggestion: If there is going to be an install-fest, any
chance that it could be organised for early October. That way I could
direct those that come to the workshop (see below for blurb) to the
install-fest if their interest in Linux is sparked.

---------
SECRETS OF SOFTWARE

FREE seminar about FREE software.
Learn how to access and use the equivalent of the big names (WORD, EXCEL
and ADOBE) for free.

Details of Seminar will be posted on the Guild Notice Board.
Attendance is free.

-------

NB: I didn't write this blurb. :-)