[plug] ISO's please - Yo! INSTALLFEST!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jul 23 11:12:09 WST 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:09, sol wrote:
> I've organised to run a "free software for newbies" class at
> Murdoch for the general public, free of charge (and there still might be
> people that want their money back!) starting in week 5 (Aug 26).

Does it have a URL yet? If so, I will spam some customers with it.

> My question here is:
> Does anyone have the latest version of SuSE (8.0) or Mandrake (8.3) on
> CD?

Mandrake is 8.2; I am in Mount Claremont. Call me on 0409655359 if rushed. If
you have a fat pipe with free WAIX bytes you can grab the ISOs from
ftp://ftp.ii.net/linux/mandrake/; it will also be worthwhile having copies of
Debian around, since Woody is now out. You might find that Mudrock have them
mirrored locally anyway.

> Can I grab a copy sometime soon?

At will. Phone ahead.

> I've decided to go with these distros because they have the easiest
> install and lots of handholding graphical wizards to aid complete
> newbies, IMO.

True. Have Debian around for the wannabee power users, though.

> Also I have a suggestion: If there is going to be an install-fest, any
> chance that it could be organised for early October. That way I could
> direct those that come to the workshop (see below for blurb) to the
> install-fest if their interest in Linux is sparked.

Good idea. List, please discuss! (-:

> NB: I didn't write this blurb. :-)

Good. (-

Cheers; Leon