[plug] Woody out, new testing is 'sarge'.

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Jul 23 11:49:51 WST 2002

Leon Brooks [mailto:leon at brooks.fdns.net] wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:18, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> >> Well I know Linux WA can help you out with a faster net
> connection if you
> >> are in a DSL enabled area !!!
>
> > As far as i could tell from there web site they didn't do dsl, who can i
> > contact about prices? Other wise it might be iinet.
>
> I have customers using both ArachNet and WestNet for dialup, and
> are happy
> with support etc. If you do DoV (faux ISDN), ArachNet are
> difficult to beat
> (e.g. unlimited DoV 24x7 at less than $40 a month).
>
> Otherwise find someone who _is_ in DSL range and do a wireless
> link to them.
> WestNet win pretty much hands down for ADSL. At the moment. (-:
>
> Cheers; Leon

I'll just make two quick points in response.

1. Linux WA have recently seen a huge expansion to there workload and
subsequently there website lags a bit behind what they actually have to
offer (i.e. Debian Woody CD's). If you hear of Linux WA offering such and
such a service/product you are probably best talking directly to one of
there sales staff and getting the information straight from the 'horses'
mouth so to speak [1]. If they don't have it they can get it or recommend
someone to you who does have it. And all information comes from people who
use Linux everyday in just about every possible way and will be guaranteed
_Linux_ centric.

2. DoV with Arachnet is great and I have recommended it to a number of
friends. It is the most cost effective solution that I could come up with in
a non DSL area. It also has there advantages of being pay per use rather
than contract based. (I know sometime contracts work out cheaper but if your
net usage is rather spasmodic, i.e. you spend time away from home or can't
commit to a contract because you are in rented premises then ISDN/DoV is the
way to go).

Michael Hunt

[1] Disclaimer: I have no business association with Linux WA and therefore
feel I can make _constructive_ comments about there web page *grin*. The
dealing I have had with them have always been good and I can whole heartedly
recommend them to any one looking for Linux Services.

P.S. I can also recommend Leon for Linux services as well. *grin*