[plug] Digital camera

Cameron Patrick cp at chem.com.au
Tue Jul 23 15:56:29 WST 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:53:55 +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:

| The DX3215 is the lower-end equivalent. Not sure if it speaks PTP as
| well or not.

I have a DX3215.  It speaks PTP.  For some reason gphoto2 refuses to talk to it, but jphoto works really well.  (I've got USB hotplug set up to automatically transfer pictures and name them by timestamp when I plug the camera in - it works much better than the windows software that came with the camera.)  It's a reasonable camera (2x optical zoom, 1.3 Mpixel), especially given that it costs significantly less than most other digital cameras in the price range. (It originally cost around $450, but is likely to have come down in price since then.)  The main hassle is its slowness: about 15 seconds to boot, and about 8 seconds to take a photo.

The Canon A10/A20ish range are nicer still, but more expensive than the Kodaks.  The A100, from what I can see from the web, looks like a cut-down version, without the optical zoom.

CP.