[plug] KDE 2.2's Kpresenter broken?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 23 22:05:18 WST 2002

Plug members,

I have a feeling that KDE 2.2 has been superceded but it is
the latest to be had via Debian's "apt-get install kde" for Woody.  The
problem I have is that Kpresenter routinely gags on .ppt files created in
MS Office97's PowerPoint.

Depending on the size of the incoming ppt, small ones just
cause it to disappear after a minute or so while large presentations with
lots of images cause it to pretty much lock up the box so that even
ssh/telnet sessions are not possible and mouse movements
unresponsive.  During these "lockups" enormous disk activity is happening.

Not especially fussed as I'll grab the 3.whatever sources and compile but
was just curious as to whether others had experienced similar
effects.  Hardware is an IBM 300PL with 200MHz MMX cpu, 64MB memory.  Not
the punchiest of machines but interesting that Deb + KDE runs faster than
its original Windows livery (W95 iirc).  I would have thought that with
the extra layers of software (X) that things might have been
slower.  Happily not.

Is this sort of thing (the KDE misbehaviour) worth reporting to either
Debian or KDE?  I have seen KDE bug 45052 filed recently which reports a
similar effect in RH from their 7.2 release.

TIA,
Denis