Getting updated (was: Re: [plug] Woody on 7 CDs!? Why?)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jul 24 14:15:52 WST 2002

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 12:20, Russell Steicke wrote:

> You can fudge around this by doing..
>
>   (apt-get update || apt-get update || apt-get update ) \
>     && ( apt-get upgrade -udy || apt-get upgrade -udy )
>
> Or something similar in a shell loop.

Yeah, I know. I haven't played with it much, but I may have to do the above,
as well as increase my time-outs. I'll also give rsync a burl, see if it's
any better...

BTW: Am I the only one annoyed at how long (especially over modem) it takes to
do an "apt-get update" these days? Especially if you have Sid lines (even if
you don't use them most of the time), where things change daily, and it
downloads the whooooole packages list all over again, which, even compressed,
isn't that small any more.

Does anyone know of any plans to better support differential package list
updates? Something along the lines of apt-get telling the server what
ID/point it was up to, and only getting down what's changed. Sure, it'd
probably mean a new protocol (or at least, a HTTP request with a GET
parameter served by a CGI or similar), but it'd save SOOO much download time
(and traffic). Yes, rsync should do this to a degree - especially if it works
on uncompressed package files...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |