Getting updated (was: Re: [plug] Woody on 7 CDs!? Why?)

Russell Steicke russells at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jul 24 12:20:39 WST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:48:22AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> As such, on a client I have to apt-get upgrade multiple times to get the full
> listing. It's a mild annoyance manually doing things, but my gateway does a
> cron'ned "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -d -u -y", and when the package
> lists time out, it gives all sorts of errors through the rest of the
> procedure, which end up as CRON messages in my inbox.

You can fudge around this by doing..

  (apt-get update || apt-get update || apt-get update ) \
    && ( apt-get upgrade -udy || apt-get upgrade -udy )

Or something similar in a shell loop.

This works because apt-proxy continues getting the file even when apt-get
times out and breaks the connection, so it will be closer to the end when
apt-get gets around to it the next time.  Looks a bit untidy, but does
work.

Russell