[plug] problems with woody upgrade

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jul 24 16:25:47 WST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> I upgraded to woody at the workshop and had to stop the configuring of the
> packages as it was taking too long. when i got up yesterday morning I
> finished configuring them with the 'dpkg --configure -a' command as when i
> tried to run 'apt-get dist-upgrade' thats what it told me to do. when I ran
> the 'apt-get dist-upgrade' after configuring the packages it wanted to
> download over 180 packages with about 130MB, why is this? and does that
> mean it isn't upgraded? I was runing potato.

~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  liblcms
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/70.6kB of archives. After unpacking 193kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
~#

If you look at "Need to get 0B/70.6kB of archives."  This is saying that
There are 70.6kB  of packages that need to be upgrade and "0B" of them need to
come from the net.  This basically means that I have all the .debs sitting in
my cache ready to go.  If your output doesn't match then I'd say for
some reason the downloaded .debs didn't stay in your machine's cache when you
left the workshop meeting.

> Also my login prompt still says its debian 2.2 and Linux logo still says
> its kernel 2.2.19pre17
> does this mean the kernel didn't upgrade?

The kernel won't upgrad It isn't "technially" part of the debian packages.
it comes fromt he boot-floppies.  You can:
"apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18"  If you want the upgrade the kernel.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!