[plug] Newbie - ADSL -

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Jul 24 23:20:26 WST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:55, Mark Bailey wrote:
> I can dial in from a terminal window but not PPP presumably because
> the dial-in wants to use PPP0 and it is already taken by the ADSL
> modem. (is this correct?)

Sorta. It's more likely to be a conflict in ppp options between PPPoE and
plain ppp, and/or stuff in /etc/ppp/ip-(up|down){.local} making (false)
assumptions about what's going on.

If you have a copy of your old /etc/ppp/options file you can try copying that
to /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 (or whatever port your modem's tied to). Starting
pppd with the `debug' option and any chat scripts with `-v' might give you
some useful info (usually in syslog AKA /var/log/messages).

In the ip-(up|down) scripts, you can check IP addresses, ipparam arguments,
device names and other stuff to decide what kind of ppp connection this
instance of the script is involved with and do different things for PPPoE and
`PPPoSerial' as appropriate. Try `man pppd' for more options than you thought
necessary, and a description of the parameters and envars passed to the ip-*
scripts.

Cheers; Leon