[plug] _hard_ crashes with X

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 25 14:35:44 WST 2002

Hi all
I'm working on a remote-boot setup for work (its actually really easy to
turn Debian into a great diskless system with X etc) and am running into
a weird problem on one machine.

I've got this setup working on other machines so it is not broken for
all, but on a spare Athlon 500 w AGP TNT2 X just crashes the machine
hard. Same if I swap the video card for an S3 Savage4. I've set up a
serial console and can confirm that the kernel isn't panicing unless
I've done something wrong in the console setup. X -probeonly is alright,
but when it tries to actually fire up the machine goes down (stops
responding on the serial console, no response to pings, etc). Its
driving me nuts. Same problem with the SVGA XF86v3 server.

This machine should have no problems with the setup, since I've had a
486DX2/66 running well enough to happily display KDE + OpenOffice +
Mozilla (*woohoo*) admittedly over an XDMCP-controlled remote X session.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

On a related note, the only problem I'm having with this system on _all_
machines is swap. Most of the machines I plan to use have 16mb of RAM
and swapping to disk is not an option, nor is a RAM upgrade. Has anybody
here worked with network swap? I gather that nbd can't do it, and there
are known problems with swap over nfs - so is there any decent way to do
it with linux at the moment?

Thanks all.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)