[plug] audible ping

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jul 28 13:05:03 WST 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 11:02:48AM +0800, bob wrote:
> I'm trying to trace a wiring problem in the lan (intermittent open) and
> thought the old ping -a would be useful. Apparently thats only BSDish
> pings though and not implemented in any of the Debian/Mandrake/Redhat
> pings I have available. Freshmeat did not come to the rescue and nothing
> I've googled for seems useful either.
>
> So... anyone know of anything like that I can use?

I've never heard of the audible ping before, from what I gather it
just beeps every time it receives a ping packet? Curiously enough,
yesterday I wrote "bing" and "bingd". Makes a server beep when you
"bing" it. Very simple, uses netcat and bash:

bing is:
---
#!/bin/sh
echo | nc -q 0 -u $1 6666
---

bingd is:
---
#!/bin/sh
nc -u -l -p 6666 | ( while read ; do echo -ne '\a' ; done )
---

Very basic. You run bingd on a machine that you want to beep when
you bing it. And from another machine you type "bing machinename".

You may want something more like
"while [ 1 ] ; do bing machinename ; sleep 1 ; done"
to get it to beep continually. Or you can bingflood a machine if its
really hard to find. And so on and so on. The many applications :)

There's issues like anybody can bing it, but if you're trying to
locate a machine in a machine room that isnt labelled then its
probably a good thing :)

Cheers,

Bernard.

--