[plug] audible ping

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Sun Jul 28 14:55:13 WST 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 13:05, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> I've never heard of the audible ping before, from what I gather it
> just beeps every time it receives a ping packet? Curiously enough,
> yesterday I wrote "bing" and "bingd". Makes a server beep when you
> "bing" it. Very simple, uses netcat and bash:

Yep, ping -a beeps the speaker.

Your bing looks neat though and does the trick in an extensible way.
Perhaps using a wav file (http://www.battlebelow.com/sonar5.wav :). and
then

#!/bin/sh
nc -u -l -p 6666 | ( while read ; do play sonar5.wav ; done )

would be fun. Perhaps even going as far as splitting the file into send
and receive components.

Thanks for sharing bing with us.

--
bob