[plug] Telnet and woody and macs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jul 28 21:35:47 WST 2002

> 1. Login timed out after 60s if i didn't login

Quite likely the same thing will happen on local login. Its quite likely
a PAM issue but I don't know how to fix it. Easy solution: use ssh, it
does its own authentication without using /bin/login.

 > 2. I couldn't ssh the connection (am using niftytelnet on the mac)
Get MacSSH - niftytelnet-ssh doesn't handle ssh3 properly.

> Also is it possible to not have to type in the IP and be able to type
> in the computer name? the mac is using TCP/IP

Yes, assuming you have DNS set up. If not, the mac might have some
equivalent of /etc/hosts but I really don't know. I seem to remember
something in the System Folder like that...