[plug] Woody install probs

Adam Davin bladebadger at westnet.com.au
Mon Jul 29 22:43:50 WST 2002

Good evening all,

I had a similar problem installing woody today (486dx266 was 8mb ram now
16).
I was installing using the floppy disks to start (as there is no boot from
cd option on the 486). I found that it would boot the rescue disk ok, then
when it asked for the root disk it would start loading and then just stop.

After several restart attempts I re-copied the root disk and away things
went, until I got caught with a woody3-pre cd and it errored on "error
downloading pppoeconf"... but thats another story (I gave up on the cd and
installed over the net)

I also found that I got a "Kernel panic out of ram and no processes that we
can kill system halted" booting with the stock 2.4 kernel of the rescue
disks, hence the machine now has 16mb (and seems to be running fine)

Hope this helps

Adam.