[plug] Getting DVD's to run (with video)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 30 15:53:37 WST 2002

> I have got to the point where I am getting sound from the dvd, but the video
> display is simply a blank blue window.  I am guessing that if this was a
> problem with the encryption then I wouldn't be getting sound.  Has anyone
> had this problem trying to play DVD movies?

Same problem with both Ogle and Xine?

Try mplayer if you haven't. I've had mixed results with it (great
quality, awful UI, serious sync problems on some disks) but it seems
that different players work well with different hardware etc etc. Who
knows, its worth a try anyway.

Otherwise: check if your _drive_ has regioning in hardware and make sure
you're using a disk from the appropriate region. If you can, try
snagging an un-encrypted DVD from somewhere (My housemates get PC
PowerPlay DVDs which I think might be unencrypted but I'm not sure,
never looked at them) and using that for testing.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)