[plug] Gnome static desktop for multiple users

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Jun 1 00:58:16 WST 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 03:49:34PM +0800, Scott Middleton wrote:
> The read only part is a worry, i had hoped gnome had thought of this and
> had systems in place for a multiple user rollout. We have to remember
> that most users of M$ are used to not having decisions to make and left
> to their own devices will inevitably "stuff it up"

Scott,

If they're particular preference files, is it too restrictive just
to make them owned by root and read-only by all? Depending on your
setup, this might be feasible. Not sure if any gnome apps will
whinge about this either, but definitely give it a shot.

Another thing that *might* be possible, is to use symbolic links for
the preference files to a read-only copy - that way, if you want to
make a system wide change, you can do so in one place and have
everybody's automatically update. Note, I've never tried any of this
before, so good luck! :)

Spurious thoughts,

Bernard.

--