[plug] simple.d

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 3 19:22:42 WST 2002

This is what linux really needs: heads stuck in the sands of "little
knowledge"  ELF is the binary format for (most) linux executables.
DWARF is another - I dont know how many more but there are probably
dozens.  I know my mail scanner looks for ELF executables and many
script languages (and "safes" them to avoid accidental execution), does
yours?  Windows exe (and many vriations of them) files are common now,
but as linux gets more popular, I wonder when such cuties as esheep
start appearing in ELF format.

Yes linux is not greatly vulnerable - but that is not the same as not
vulnerable.

Oh, and check out the Mandrake expert list for some good and bad
comments as well as the repeat of such gems as the first worm was on a
unix system etc ...  seems there were a number of other "firsts" that
Unix made in this area as well, not windows as many would have you
believe!

It seems as if many people believe the hype that Linux is safe from all
virii ... not so, less risk yes, but no-one is 100% safe.  You can
ignore this one, but the next, maybe not ...

BillK

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 14:58, Sol Hanna wrote:
> Is anyone taking this the hype over this seriously? I've seen numerous articles all based on the Symantec warning as if it's big

yes, many are!