[plug] Remote machines

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Jun 3 23:19:01 WST 2002

G'day Cameron

> <FTP seems to hang, I press Ctrl-C ...>
> Does anyone know how to work around this problem?

Try ncftp and see if that helps. I've found it does weird
(different?) stuff with passive mode and ports and works for me
where ftp normal doesnt (behind some firewalls etc). And it's just
generally cooler anyway (go *<TAB>*! :)

Note that your actual data doesnt get encrypted, but given its web
pages, generally it shouldn't be a big deal.

> Mail works fine with fetchmail's preconnect and postconnect
> commands:
>    preconnect "ssh $ACCOUNT at gwaleel.pair.com -f -N -L 7711:localhost:110"
>    postconnect "killall ssh"
>
> The latter may not be the most elegant solution, but it appears to
> work.

What I use is something like
	"ssh -C -f opera -L 11111:mail.iinet.net.au:110 sleep 5"

The pop3 connection is (hopefully) made within 5 seconds before the
vortex closes, and ssh is nice enough to wait till the forwarded
connection has closed before dying, so there's no need for a
postconnect killall'ing spree. :)

HTH,

B.

--