[plug] switch + adsl router

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Jun 4 08:54:18 WST 2002

Hi Robert,

I've got a D-Link DSL-500 that I use on my ADSL connection and I've got a
friend with  DSL-504, and neither of us have had any problems at all so far.

The difference between an ethernet modem and a router is that the router is
standalone, in that it has all of the software built in to do the connection
setup and authentication, they also often have other features thrown in as
well, like a DHCP agent, port redirection etc.  An ethernet modem is like a
normal dial-up modem in that it has to be connected to a computer and the
computer does the connection setup and authentication.

HTH :)

/ Ben