[plug] Im back on the list

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Jun 4 15:24:22 WST 2002

> From: "Craig Ringer" <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
>
> What is terrifying is that AuDA have selected Mandrake as the
> distro-of-choice for the new Australian domain name service. I would've
> thought Debian but of course there's the release cycle issue. When they
> go live with the new DNS, all our 'net access for .au will be via
> Mandrake + Bind9 + Oracle9i . Weird eh?

I wouldn't say "weird" really.  Why do a lot of businesses choose Red Hat?
Because its *really* good?  Not likely (even though I currently use it - but
want to move away from it).  But because its commercially supported and if a
bug/security/exploit issue comes up, they know that something will be done
about it.  Not saying thats not the case with Debian, but it doesn't move in
the same fashion that commercial Linux distributions do.

Why do lots of businesses use Microsoft software?  Because its really good
software?  I don't think we need to go there.... :)

/ Ben