[plug] re-submit: permissions on Web at ISP

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Tue Jun 4 20:20:39 WST 2002

wayne wrote:

>         My logic is User is an   "other"   and only needs   r
> access  (someone has told me they only need   x )   ?

They need x (and r) on directories and CGI scripts, just r on other
files.

> Can they be prevented from reading site files but still do http?

What does "do http" mean?

> What permissions on the html file and
> what on the perl&dir and what on the file&dir?
...snip...
>         My logic (where a=any .=none and rwx=normal) is:
>                 html file&dir    ugo= aaa ... x..   or  aaa ... x.r

Not quite, o+r for the html file, o+rx for the directory.

>                 perl&dir          ugo= xaa ... ...    ?

No, o+rx for both.

>                 data&dir         ugo=awr ... ...    ?

No, o+rx for the directory and o+rw for the datafile.

> 3. What about telnet, ftp and other prevention on same setup?

Um, normally only you would have telnet and ftp access to your Web
site, wouldn't you?  There's no way to stop yourself from having
access to your own files (unless you ask the ISP's support guys to do
that for you).

PS. Please consider not posting in HTML if possible.