[plug] re-submit: permissions on Web at ISP

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 4 10:25:32 WST 2002

On setting up U,G,O permissions on a my website (hosted at an ISP)....

Q's arising:

1. What permissions for me to do necessary tasks, and allow external Users http access - but exclude external Users from doing nasty or deliberate stuff(ups)?
        My logic is User is an   "other"   and only needs   r   access  (someone has told me they only need   x )   ?
Can they be prevented from reading site files but still do http?

2. An external ISP User can fill in a data form that calls a Perl script from cgi-bin.  The perl extracts the data and stores it in a file in another directory.  What permissions on the html file and what on the perl&dir and what on the file&dir?  Neither the User or any other should be able to access that file.  Remember this is hosted at an ISP, and I am only be a member of that site.
        My logic (where a=any .=none and rwx=normal) is:
                html file&dir    ugo= aaa ... x..   or  aaa ... x.r   ?
                perl&dir          ugo= xaa ... ...    ?
                data&dir         ugo=awr ... ...    ?
Script will need to write data entered by user to a file in another directory but no-one should not be able to re-access it.

3. What about telnet, ftp and other prevention on same setup?

Regards to all,
wayne.