[plug] ide positions

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed Jun 5 11:58:43 WST 2002

I would also be interested in other members comments on what cables (EIDE1
and EIDE2) each device should be on.

I am sure I read somewhere that if you want to copy from your CD-ROM to the
CD-RW (burner) then the two CD drives should not be on the same cable, which
sounds logical to me because the CD-RW would have to pause to allow the
CD-ROM to dump the next lot of information.

But then a PLUG member suggested I put both my hard disks on the same cable.

At the moment I have2x HDD's (both 20 Gb) - one is for Windows 98 and the
other is for Linux (Red Hat 7.1) and the boot loader is Lilo.  I have one
HDD and one CD-drive on each cable:

EIDE1:   hda1 (Win98)  +  CD-RW
EIDE2:   hdc1-5 (Linux) +  CD-ROM

I rarely copy CD's, so what would you suggest - both CD's on one ribbon
cable and both HDD's on the other, or leave it the way it is?

Kind regards,

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers
ABN 34 305 232 710