[plug] ide positions

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 5 21:29:00 WST 2002

Hello John,

I think you will find that the best way to configure your IDE devices is as
follows :

Primary Master :        Your first HDD - (Boot drive)
Primary Slave :         Your DVD (reader)
Secondary Master :      Your CD burner
Secondary Slave :       Your second HDD

1 - Having your DVD and burner on separate IDE channels makes for faster and
more reliable disk <-> disk copying

2 - Having your CD burner as a master will help to avoid caching and buffer
problems.

3 - Also consider which connector they are using on the cable - ie: master
drive  on first connector and slave drive on the end connector. ( no doubt
many will disagree on this point - but if you have problems then keep an eye
on this one)

At 10:18 AM 05-06-2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Hey up!
>
>I'd better ask this while I still remember. I've got two hdds and two cd-rom
>drives (one's a dvd rom drive, the other's a cd burner), what's the best way
>to put everything on, position wise? Should I have two hdds on one channel
>and two cd-rom drives on the other, or have a cd-rom drive and a hdd on each
>channel?
>
>cheers!
>
>Make lunch, not war.

Regards Arie