[plug] PCMCIA -> PCI bridge (resolved)

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 21:18:09 WST 2002

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a followup in case anyone else runs
into these.

Turns out that the device is not a simple PCMCIA host
adapter, like the ISA one we have at work. It is
instead some weird transparent PCI network bridge,
which is why /proc/pci comes up as a Network
Controller rather than anything PCMCIA related.

Anyway, I upgraded to 2.4 after eventually working out
the iptables / ipac-ng problem (removing the space
from after the !) and after applying the kernel patch
found at

http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-devel/2002-March/000955.html

and recompiling, I was able to "modprobe orinoco_plx"
and it was all detected (after also using the hermes
and orinoco modules).

Output of syslog after loading:

kernel: hermes.c: 16 Jan 2002 David Gibson
<hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
kernel: orinoco.c 0.09b (David Gibson
<hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
kernel: orinoco_plx.c 0.09b (Daniel Barlow
<dan at telent.net>)
kernel: orinoco_plx: CIS:
301:103:00:00:17FF:FF17:6704:467:85A:5A08:1DFF:FF1D:105:501:5A67:675A:
kernel: orinoco_plx: Local Interrupt already enabled
kernel: Detected Orinoco/Prism2 PLX device at 00:0d.0
irq:10, io addr:0x6400

Snippet of /proc/pci:

Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
  Network controller: PCI device 1638:1100 (rev 2).
    IRQ 10.
    I/O at 0x6300 [0x637f].
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0001000
[0xe0001fff].
    I/O at 0x6400 [0x643f].

So there we have it...

As they say, easy if you know how :)  I think I would
still prefer a real PCMCIA host adaptor, but they're
probably more expensive (these are only $99 down at
Harvey Norman). And no, you don't specifically need
the Belkin wireless network card, my Enterasys works
fine.

End my contribution to the knowledge base :)

Andrew

=====
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are quick to anger and have not need for subtlety.

http://www.sold.com.au - The Sold.com.au Big Brand Sale
- New PCs, notebooks, digital cameras, phones and more ... Sale ends June 12