Yay Jeremy (was Re: [plug] Spam sender sues)

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 6 10:21:13 WST 2002

Andrew Furey wrote:

> > There could also be a defamation issue.  No-one is
> > obliged to route email
> > through their networks if they don't want to, but it
> > could be argued that
> > sending some-ones name to a blacklist is denoting
> > them (say) a 'spammer' ...
> > this could be found to be defamatory.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong Jeremy :)... but isn't it only
> defamation if it's untrue? Or am I thinking of
> something else?

(I love it when people in the same office as me ask me questions on
the PLUG list instead of calling out down the hall.)  Yes you are
right Andrew, in any case, they cannot amend their claim to argue
defamation.  They would have to bring a fresh action.