[plug] rute.sourceforge.net

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Thu Jun 6 10:22:58 WST 2002

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:49:32AM +0800, James Elliott wrote:
> >  I have been reading
> > sections of it on the Internet and have been thinking of buying
> the book.  I
> > would be interested in hearing what you and others think about it - in
> > particular, how recent/up-to-date is it?
>
> I have *not* read the whole thing, so these are my initial
> impressions.

This is probably going to make me look like an idiot, but...

WTF is a Rute?

I had a quick look at the contents and preface, and skimmed over the first
few chapters; it looks to me like a basic computing/sysadmin book, but no
mention is made of what a Rute might be.

Rute isn't the authors name. Google doesn't identify Rute as a product,
other than the book in question.

Or is it just a really really bad attempt at a recursive acronym? GNU works
because GNU is the name of an organisation, so GNU is a noun; PINE works
because PINE Is Not Elm, therefore PINE is a noun; Rute (note: no caps)
sounds like it should be a noun, as in "I use Rute for my frobnicating"; the
title is even "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition", implying "I can use
Rute", but damned if I've ever heard of a Rute...

<bad joke>
How do I get me a Rute?
</bad joke>

Sorry.. couldn't pass that one up... :-)

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia