[plug] PrintScreen of death

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Jun 10 11:30:28 WST 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:30:27AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >I figure it's because it can't find lp it's dieing and I can't force
> >it to use something else (like lpr) because its running setgid utmp.
> Erm... why sgid utmp?

They're how xterm, Eterm and rxvt all came installed at least. My
guess is so it can write to /var/log/wtmp or /var/run/utmp to keep
track of logins. I don't see that as such a big security hole. A
malicious Eterm might fill up /var, but chances of that on my
machine aren't great.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:52:30AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima
wrote:
> in ../share/Eterm/themes/Eterm/theme.cfg
> serach for print_pipe
> comment out restart Eterm.

Odd. Seems to make no difference here. Removing the setgid bit makes
it crash with a different error:

sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file

The line in theme.cfg was "print_pipe 'lp''"
Changed that to "print_pipe 'lpr'"
Same error.

I changed the line to read "print_pipe true" and it no longer
returns an error, but still crashes out, whether it's setgid or not.
I might just disable the PrintScreen key in X. But thank you Tony
and Craig for your ideas! Muchly appreciated. :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham