[plug] Hacking the Redhat install

Buddrige, David BuddrigeD at logica.com
Mon Jun 10 13:54:25 WST 2002

Hi all,

I am currently working on software for a client that is designed to run on
Redhat Linux 7.2.  We have written a procedure on how to install the system
onto a computer, beginning with formatting the hard-drive and going through
the redhat 7.2 installation, through to installing the software we've
developed.

What we'd really like to do is to be able to write a single script that they
could run that would install Redhat with all of our chosen configurations
and then install our own software.

I have been hunting around on the net trying to find out information as to
how to go about hacking the redhat install process.  With slackware the
install procedure was kicked off by a script called "install" which then
went thorough allowing the user to interactively choose various components
to install.  Being a script however it was straight-forward enough to hack
such that rather than providing interactive prompts it just went ahead and
installed particular packages according to our needs.

However I have not yet been able to figure out how to do this under Redhat.
When you boot off the boot disk (or CDROM), you are presented with a screen
that allows you to press <ENTER> to proceed with the install.  I have found
where the text file that displays this screen is located, but not the
program that a ctually undertakes the installl.  There does not appear to be
a script as such to do this.  My guess is that perhaps it is a C program or
somesuch.  Does anyone know about this aspect of Redhat?

thanks heaps

David Buddrige.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.