[plug] #2 Website - Linux newbie

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Fri Jun 14 11:59:37 WST 2002

Hya Wayne,

Developing Web skills, I assume you mean surfing and email.
If so then setting up your machine with a workstation install will allow
you use email and browsers and dialup to connect to the web. Couple this
with a standard internet account, like $24.95 per month style, will be
fine.

Web hosting is slightly different, you can run this from your machine by
doing a workstation install and once setup then installing Apache as
your web server. you then can use vi or emacs or some text editor to
write your web pages, put them in the httpd(apache) home dir(for RedHat
/var/www) and you can view it via your web browser. You will need some
sort of internet account whether dialup or perm, this will depend on your level
of Web Presence, for people you want to see your web site.

Other services can be installed to enhance your web site depending how
involved you wish to become.

Hope this helps.

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
           -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */