[plug] adsl trouble

Richard rbarnes at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 15 14:53:53 WST 2002

I have been having a few problems keeping the Internet connection up on
my linux box via our new ADSL connection. We have a D-Link DSL 504
router which runs a DHCP server and uses NAT to forward packets. I have
two network cards (eth0, eth1) in my box (setup as DHCP clients) and
have tried using both, with the same result...the connection seems to
come up fine when I boot, but after a couple of minutes it seems to die
for no apparent reason. I can easily get it back again using /sbin/ifup
eth0 or 1, but after a few minutes or more the same thing happens again.
I have looked through the config files in /etc/system/network-scripts
and could not see anything obviously wrong (not that I would know an
error in one if I fell over it in the street :) If someone on the list
could suggest a few things for me to check I would be very grateful, as
running /sbin/ifup every 3 minutes is getting a little tedious :) I am
using Mandrake 8.2 and used there GUI tools to set up the cards in the
first place (possibly the problem? :) We also have winxp and win2000
boxes on the new router and they work fine, so I would assume the router
is ok.