[plug] debian dpkg error: invalid mode in statusoverride file

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Sun Jun 16 02:30:58 WST 2002

Craig,

I did a search, in Google Groups using " invalid mode in statusoverride
file: for the search field.  I got this answer from a post by Colin Watson
[cjw44 at flatline.org.uk].

"Your /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride might be corrupt. For instance, mine
looks like this:

  root mail 664 /etc/groupie/mailtonews.conf
  root adm 4754 /usr/bin/lpr
  root root 755 /usr/lib/apache/suexec
  root root 04755 /usr/bin/ssh
  root vmware 04754 /usr/sbin/vmnet
  root jwhois 0775 /var/cache/jwhois
  root tty 6755 /usr/bin/write
  root root 04755 /usr/sbin/ssh
  root jwhois 02755 /usr/bin/jwhois
  root mail 664 /etc/groupie/groupie.lists
  root vmware 04750 /usr/bin/hercifc

My guess is that the third field of one of the lines isn't a number (it
should be a numeric file mode, like the above). Fix that and all should
be well."

I hope it helps.  You can usually find an answer or at least a good starting
point by searching for your error messages in http://groups.google.com/

Cheers,
Phil