[plug] Lost X autostart

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Sun Jun 16 02:44:39 WST 2002

Craig

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig at postnewspapers.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 2:43 PM
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Lost X autostart

> I can not get my Redhat 7.2 machine to boot up in X-windows.
OK, I'm pedantic so:
"X" or "The X Window System" or "XFree86" please. It's not "windows".

> What file am I missing that could be causing this ?
A little more info would make this question easier to answer.

The X display manager you've been using is probably not starting for
some reason.

First try to start it manually - "/etc/rc.d/init.d/gdm start" and see if
that works. If so its likely you've somehow disabled it from starting at
boot - use chkconfig to re-enable it ("man chkconfig" or mail for help).

First you could've disabled/uninstalled your display manager (gdm or kdm
ususually) - do "rpm -qa | grep [gkx]dm" to find out if its installed.
To check its set to run on startup, "ls /etc/rc5.d/S???dm" and see if it
prints something like "S99gdm".

If its uninstalled, go and re-install it from your distro CDs.

If gdm/kdm appears to be both installed and set to load on startup,
check the system logs like /var/log/messages for interesting references
to X and/or gdm, plus "grep [gkx]dm /var/log/messages | less" and see
what you get. /var/log/gdm can also contain intestesting stuff sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Craig Ringer