[plug] adsl trouble

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Mon Jun 17 09:11:54 WST 2002

Hya,

Which eth dev is internal network and which one is external?
The internal eth should be a static address and the external eth should
be config to 'BOOTPROTO=dhcp' in your ifcfg-ethx.

Then you run an dhcp on internal eth IP range and setup a dhcp server on
that network, so then your internal network machines can be configured
to get IP via dhcp.

The adsl modem, how does it get its IP addressing? Can you config this
dev? How transparent is it? Does it run services?
These will help you configure you external eth dev properly.

iiNet runs there adsl modem bridged mode (blind and transparent) the eth dev
is assigned an IP, not the modem. So you talk direct to the cisco
modems. Just makes things easy.

Hope this helps.

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
           -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */