[plug] adsl trouble

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Mon Jun 17 14:49:51 WST 2002

Hya,

On 17 Jun 2002, Richard wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 09:11, Paul Dean wrote:
> > Hya,
> >
> > Which eth dev is internal network and which one is external?
> > The internal eth should be a static address and the external eth should
> > be config to 'BOOTPROTO=dhcp' in your ifcfg-ethx.
> >
> > Then you run an dhcp on internal eth IP range and setup a dhcp server on
> > that network, so then your internal network machines can be configured
> > to get IP via dhcp.
> >
> > The adsl modem, how does it get its IP addressing? Can you config this
> > dev? How transparent is it? Does it run services?
> > These will help you configure you external eth dev properly.
> >
> > iiNet runs there adsl modem bridged mode (blind and transparent) the eth dev
> > is assigned an IP, not the modem. So you talk direct to the cisco
> > modems. Just makes things easy.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Our router is not transparent, it has it's own DHCP server and uses NAT
> in forwarding packets to individual hosts. Eth0 was going to be my
> internal NIC, but I'll have to go through the howtos again before I
> tackle the DHCP server config. I seem to have gotten the connection to
> stay up now, but it still has to be started manually after boot up, and
> there are some syslog entries that have me a little concerned...if
> anyone is bored enough to take a look :) Thanks for the help anyway.
>
> This set of entries seems to appear a number of times. I attempted to
> bring up the connection with /sbin/ifup eth1, but that did not seem to
> work, so I used Mandrake control centre tools to 'connect'. 8139 is the
> model number of the card in eth1. ne2k-pci is the driver for eth0 I
> think.

<snipo>

Well I would check your /etc/modules.conf file for those entries.
What do you get if you run `lsmod` ?

Check your /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-ethx config files to make sure they look
ok, then do an `service network restart`, to totally restart your
network and stuff.

You are best to do this from the local tty.
Config your eth0 to a private IP eg 192.168.1.1 static address, kill
your dhcp service for now and work on you eth1 config.

The paths I've given are RH not Mand, so they maybe a little different.

Remember each eth dev needs to be config on differnet networks ie
netmask=255.255.255.0 for eth0 and 255.255.255.252 probably for eth1.

Hope this helps...

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
           -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */