[plug] adsl trouble

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 18 19:24:36 WST 2002

>>>If the box is running as an gateway
>>
>>Therein lying the point - it is not running as a gateway.
>
> Ok, but you still have the issue of 2 nics running...yes?
Nope. 1 nic plugged in and enabled, one not in use.

> If not, then the principle is the exactly the same same an internal
> external gateway setup. The box becomes a router for traffic between two
> networks therefore a gateway.
True enough, and I'm probably being a bit pedantic in pushing the
point... but hey.

> As is have read that there an ADSL modem connected to one of the nics
> then it would be safe to say that the machine is acting as a gateway.

There is no adsl modem connected to the machine, as such. What there
_is_ is and ADSL modem _with _embedded_ _router_ on the LAN, which this
machine is using as a gateway.

Anyway, its not really important, we both understand the principles
involved, the terminology, etc etc so there's really no point in
hammering out minor details and messing up the list, yes?