[plug] adsl trouble

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Wed Jun 19 08:29:22 WST 2002

Hya Craig,

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

> >>Therein lying the point - it is not running as a gateway.
> >
> > Ok, but you still have the issue of 2 nics running...yes?
> Nope. 1 nic plugged in and enabled, one not in use.
>
> > If not, then the principle is the exactly the same same an internal
> > external gateway setup. The box becomes a router for traffic between two
> > networks therefore a gateway.
> True enough, and I'm probably being a bit pedantic in pushing the
> point... but hey.
>
> > As is have read that there an ADSL modem connected to one of the nics
> > then it would be safe to say that the machine is acting as a gateway.
>
> There is no adsl modem connected to the machine, as such. What there
> _is_ is and ADSL modem _with _embedded_ _router_ on the LAN, which this
> machine is using as a gateway.
Oh my mistake I'm sorry about that.

> Anyway, its not really important, we both understand the principles
> involved, the terminology, etc etc so there's really no point in
> hammering out minor details and messing up the list, yes?

Yes this is true, I apologize list.

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
           -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */