[plug] OT: insurance

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 19 13:39:29 WST 2002

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 11:49 am, Russell Steicke wrote:
> Please excuse the way off-topic question.  I'm asking here because there
> are probably a few people on the list who are in a situation to know about
> this...
>
> While doing contract work in IT (linux and open source/free software in
> particular), how essential do people regard professional indemnity
> insurance?  Who offers such an insurance product in that field?  I'm
> asking because I've been offered some work, and want to try to go in with
> my eyes open.

This is an important issue, so keep it on list.

Prof indemnity is important, but not as important as some companies make out.
Quite often they require way over the top insurance. Just talk to them and
theyll be more realistic.

As an aside, if you are contracting you probably dont need all that much
cover. If you are consulting (giving direction) then you do. However, as a
contractor you are told what to do (receiving direction) and therefore most
fu^H^H mistakes are someone else's fault :)